The application deadline for the Virtuoso Violin Festival is 30 June 2016. The festival is an annual residential course offering extensive musical training to young musicians, focusing on the celebration of Bach, Paganini and other string music.
Applicants must be 16 and under 36 years of age. Each applicant must have studied violin to at least UK grade 8 (or equivalent), and have prepared the following works, which will be studied during the masterclasses and individual tuition sessions:
- Complete Sonata or Partita for unaccompanied violin by J S Bach from BMV 01 001 -1 006
- Caprice from the 24 Caprices, Op.1 by Paganini
Applications should include the following information:
- A completed application form available to download here.
- Your CV.
- Two letters of reference from your teacher, tutor or someone in a position of authority in the classical music world and who is familiar with your playing.
- A cassette or CD (no longer than 15 mins total duration) containing one movement of unaccompanied Bach (from the Sonatas and Partitas) and any work of your choice.
Completed applications should be sent to following address:
The Virtuoso Violin Festival
29 Johnson Road
Tel: +44(0) 7801 274843 / +44(0) 121 3739649
The fee of £750 includes accommodation at Stratford College halls of residence, breakfast, mid-morning snack, packed lunch, and all masterclasses, individual tuition, coaching, piano accompaniment and concerts. It does not include evening meals or travel to and from Stratford. A small bursary fund is available for some who wish to attend.
Applications are open until the end of June. Successful applications will be notified by 30 June 2017 and places must be confirmed by a deposit (non refundable) of £375 with the balance of £375 due by 31 July 2017.